Julia Roberts in Talks to Star in Series from Mr. Robot's Sa

Discuss rumoured and confirmed upcoming projects for Julia.

Moderator: berlioz

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Julia Roberts in Talks to Star in Series from Mr. Robot's Sa

Postby mcv on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/news/julia-rober ... am-esmail/

Last week, Julia Roberts had no TV shows. This week, she has two.
Deadline reports that the biggest movie star of the '90s is in talks to star in Homecoming, an in-the-works series from Mr. Robot's Sam Esmail.
Homecoming is based on Gimlet Media's narrative podcast of the same name, which launched last November. Roberts would star as a caseworker at a secret government facility that helps soldiers reintegrate to society. Catherine Keener starred on the podcast, with Oscar Isaac as the soldier and David Schwimmer as her supervisor.
Homecoming would reportedly not conflict with her just-announced limited series Today Will Be Different, which is in development at HBO. Homecoming and Today Will Be Different will be her first TV series starring roles. She was nominated for an Emmy for the HBO movie The Normal Heart in 2014.
Homecoming will be written by Esmail and produced by Universal Cable Production and Anonymous Content. No network is attached yet, but with Julia Roberts attached, expect a bidding war to ensue.
This would be Gimlet Media's second podcast to get a TV adaptation. ABC's fall sitcom Alex, Inc. is based on Gimlet's StartUp.

------
not heard the podcast. this seems to be promising material too.
when will she have the time to do all this? lol
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Re: Julia Roberts in Talks to Star in Series from Mr. Robot'

Postby swamer on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 pm

I like this one more than TWBD tbh. Also l guess the kids are very busy between soccer games and holidays. So she's free. I like that she is attacking the small screen in a big way :-)
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 am

i'm not familiar with the source material nor with mr robot, but it's a star vehicle and a lead role. so i'm in.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:30 am

so excited for this
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:54 pm

just listened to the whole podcast. it is quite riveting. if this becomes a series, it will definitely be a thriller and might be a hit, kind of like mr. robot. the whole time i was listening i was picturing it as a movie but i guess no one makes movies like this anymore.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Homecoming, the podcast series is getting a second season. I wonder how it will work for the tv adaptation. I also hope that Oscar Isaac returns with Julia but I highly doubt it.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm

http://deadline.com/2017/07/homecoming- ... 202131214/

In a very competitive situation, with production offers from multiple streaming and cable outlets, I have learned that Amazon has nabbed the hot drama series project Homecoming starring Oscar winner Julia Roberts. I hear the half-hour drama from Universal Cable Productions and Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, who is directing and executive producing, has received a two-season straight-to-series order.

Homecoming, based on Gimlet Media’s breakout fictional podcast that launched in November, has been a hot property from the start. The podcast immediately was pursued by several top film and TV producers and studios. UCP landed the rights to Homecoming in December in a very competitive situation for Esmail to develop as a TV series via his overall deal there. Anonymous Content, which produces Mr. Robot with UCP, also came on board to produce. The project immediately attracted major A-list actors, with Roberts engaging in conversations in early June that led to a deal.

Penned by the podcast’s creators and writers Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg and directed by Esmail, Homecoming is a psychological thriller that centers on a caseworker at a secret government facility (Roberts) and a soldier eager to rejoin civilian life.

Presented in a collage of telephone calls, therapy sessions and overheard conversations, the Homecoming podcast had a cast led by Catherine Keener that also included Oscar Isaac, David Schwimmer, Amy Sedaris and David Cross. Keener voiced the caseworker, with Isaac as the soldier.

wow so this is really happening. i feel that the projects she will do in her fifties will be more interesting than the ones she has done in her forties (except for august osage county and eat pray love)
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Rooting for this project! Go Julia!
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 pm

i hope this happens soon, i'm getting bored with her soccer mom persona lol

and let's hope this does well for her career, like it happend to nicole and winona. also halle berry did tv but it fell flat...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Alex75 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am

The TV series in now in pre-production on IMDB with Julia in the leading role just "rumored".
Alex75

Postby spanish wild on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

Alex75 wrote:The TV series in now in pre-production on IMDB with Julia in the leading role just "rumored".

It´s no longer as rumored.

First Episode in 2018. It seems like it's happening !!! :clap:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000210/
spanish wild
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 pm

This is great.

We need to know who will play the other parts :D

Who do you suggest?
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 pm

an all new cast different from the podcast will be good.

but i would be okay with a catherine keener in a different role. or oscar isaac too. but no, no david schwimmer.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Upcoming Projects