MBFW

Moderator: berlioz

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

MBFW

Postby berlioz on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 am

it opened 20 YEARS ago! hard to believe!
i have no memories of pretty woman being released as i was too young, but i remember all the fuss around mbfw and it being julia's big come-back.
i watched it fotr the first time on vhs with my family (my father bought it for my mother) and we all adored it. with pretty woman and erin brockovich it's definitely the julia movie that had a bigger impact on me - way more than notting hill honestly. and it's definitely one of the most quoted movies among my friends.
i'm not surprised julia loves it so much - she often says that it's the movie she is more excited fot hazel to watch.

i'm surprised there has not been any kind of reunion, especially considering julia is still great friend with dermot: it would be so amazing to watch julia with him, cameron and rupert on a morning show singing together "i say a little pray for you" as they did back in 1997 on rosie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34oyvfc27E

i mean, she did it for mystic pizza, mbfw was such a bigger deal!
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Re: MBFW

Postby swamer on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:46 pm

MBFW is the movie that made Julia so close to my heart. For me Julia is the movie and vice versa. I was blown away. I can understand people loving early Vivian, but Julianne Potter is simply amazing. Notting Hill is rather forgettable for me.

Yes, a reunion would be more than welcome. Maybe for the 25th anniversary like Pretty Woman?! It has to happen.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:43 am

yeah this is the movie that made me a life long fan. still holds up. i actually think this is her best performance or the second best after erin brockovich. it's her best romantic comedy. her character is a great rom com heroine, almost a literary heroine with the wrongheaded decisions she makes. the ending broke my heart. i watched this film 4 times in theaters and almost got mugged during one of the times LOL.

i wish there was a reunion. i would wanna see julia interact with rupert and cameron again.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 pm

http://themuse.jezebel.com/whos-chasing ... 7971300899

In Julianne they created a romcom heroine we love to hate, but reluctantly relate to on our worst days. She is our redheaded Id in tiny sunglasses—the woman who chain smokes in non-smoking businesses, snoops inside a stranger’s email account, tells big lies to cover up smaller ones, and asks for things she wants at precisely the wrong time (“Choose me,” she tells Michael on the day of his wedding). It is perhaps Roberts’s most meticulous and nuanced comedic performance—one that requires her to juggle slapstick and moments of reluctant tenderness—and a role that could have been disastrous in the hands of someone less inherently charming.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am

totally agree with that, it's definitely one of julia's best and more charming performances, her comic timing is flawless. i really wish she'll do other slapstick comedies when she will be older, in the roles meryl streep and diane keaton did in their 50s (it's comlicated, something's gotta give...), she would be perfect.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Film Discussion (Released)