"Wonder": OUR REVIEWS

Moderator: berlioz

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

"Wonder": OUR REVIEWS

Postby Yanzi on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 am

Saw this at one of the NYC press screening yesterday.

Wonder is one the those films that your mind constantly tell you to criticize but your heart just can't stop melting for it. I totally get why this has the highest scores from test audiences over any other film in Lionsgate's history, it's a very old-fashioned Hollywood film (in 90's style) for family to enjoy during the holidays, at times way too neat and sweet, yet its center is so heartfelt and sincere it made those manufactured layers around it tolerable in the end.

I got teared up three times during the film and it's all because of what Julia did with her co-stars. This is her 10th film playing a mother since "Steel Magnolias" and her 6th since she became a mother in real life. As great as she was before depicting motherly love, this is the first time I felt it so completely and she did it all in the smallest details.

Apart from that little short speech ("we all have marks on our face") she said to Jacob 23mins into the film, she has no so-called showy or "money" scene at all, most of her scenes are basically about her reacting to her two children's problems but it's the best reacting you can hope from any actor. It's her warmest performance in god knows how long.

I haven't read the book yet and was a little surprised by how much of an ensemble film it is. Jacob Tremblay, Noah Jupe and Izabela Vidovic have the most screentimes (with Julia being the 4th), they were all very good, especially Noah. Owen Wilson was a fine support too and has lots of one-liners that made my press audience laughing out loud. Sadly, the great Sonia Braga only appears in one flashback scene and it's not with Julia. I'm starting to notice some complains about Julia's character being whitewashed, hopefully it won't become a big controversy and hurt the film.

I think the film will have legs, looking forward to see it again with the regular filmgoers.
Yanzi
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Re: "Wonder": OUR REVIEWS

Postby swamer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:53 am

Thank you so much Yanzi! I love reading your insightful reviews. And I'm glad you liked the movie.

Can I share your review with the other members of the Aboutjulia.com Facebook group?
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

uh oh.

i was gonna make a thread asking if anyone is scared if she will be criticized for this choice of role. because the character is a latina in the book. it's not really that commented upon in the book much. but we are living in the woke times so i think some people will latch into this and probably criticize her and the movie for that.

then again, she did play a Portuguese in mystic pizza.

i wish she didn't actually play this role at all in the first place if this is going to be a controversy. i wish she could have just produced or something and have marisa tomei play the role. but i guess, the story was special to her and she pursued the role.

ugh, why must everything she do not be a full slamdunk. there always has to be a point of contention. f-ck it all. so depressing
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:14 pm

thanks for the review!

i don't think there will be a big controversy, i mean jolie played a black woman and almost got oscar-nominated for that role.
(by the way marisa tomei is italian so totally caucasian and not latina at all lol)

i hope it's commercially succesful. but it's definitely not the kind of movie i'm generally interested in, so i really hope she'll choose more ambitious projects in the next few year. i mean, if she has to go mainstream i'd prefer her to go fully oscar-mode and choose a prestigious bio-pic like the ones meryl streep does instead of a family movie.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm

yeah i hope there isn't a backlash.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Yanzi on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Sure Swamer! Cant wait to read everyone else's review.
Yanzi
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Wonder (2017)