"Wonder" To Debut At Rome Film Festival

Moderator: berlioz

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

"Wonder" To Debut At Rome Film Festival

Postby swamer on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay drama 'Wonder' gets Rome special screening

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate’s Stephen Chbosky-directed drama will screen in Rome’s youth-oriented Alice In The City strand.

Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay drama Wonder will get a special screening at the Rome Film Festival’s autonomous sidebar Alice In The City on November 3.

The screening, the film’s first at a festival, will be for students, teachers and public but not for press and no talent will be present.

Directed by Stephen Chbosky (The Perks Of Being A Wallflower) and inspired by R. J. Palacio’s book of the same name, Wonder charts the story of a young boy - August Pullman - with a facial deformity who enters fifth grade, attending a mainstream elementary school for the first time.

By the time he’s 10, August has had 27 surgeries to help him breathe, see, and hear without a hearing aid.

Room star Tremblay features in the lead role alongside Roberts, Owen Wilson, Sonia Braga and Mandy Patinkin.

Script comes from Chbosky, Jack Thorne and Steve Conrad. Producers are David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Executive Producers are Jeff Skoll, Robert Kessel, Michael Beugg, R.J. Palacio and Alexander Young.

The Mandeville Films/Lionsgate production will hit theaters from November 17, 2017, with Lionsgate presenting in association with Walden Media and Participant Media.

Alice In The City, which screens films with a strong youth angle, runs October 26 - November 5. Previous films to show in the section include Planes, Nocturama and Captain Fantastic.

Named after the 1974 Wim Wenders movie Alice In The Cities, the strand directed by Gianluca Giannelli and Fabia Bettini has earned growing praise from critics and audiences since it was launched 15 years ago.

Movies in the section screen at the same venues as those used for the main festival.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/julia-r ... 19.article
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Re: "Wonder" To Debut At Rome Film Festival

Postby berlioz on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:33 am

The screening, the film’s first at a festival, will be for students, teachers and public but not for press and no talent will be present.

LOL

everything julia touches immediatly becomes C-list nowadays. i smell flop.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Rico on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:53 pm

I guess it is a bit worrying? And also publicity-wise, this is weird: it looks like they were trying to go the festival route but only managed to get into the side-bar of an irrelevant festival... so they should just skip the festival circuit, no?

:-/

if you want to sing out, sing out.
Rico
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm

the rome film festival is known for being very public-friendly and they often do premiers for students and things like that - i think thay also had special screenings of the first twilight movie and enchanted without the stars of the movie. as the book is very popular among children, students and teachers i can see what they are doing here.

but yes, since it's taken from an admired book and it has a high-profile cast it could have easily been included in the official selection of TIFF or the rome festival itself: the fact it was not it's probably very telling about its quality. so i guess we can forget about awards and try to hope the reviews are not so negative to discourage its demographic.

i mean, are we really surprised? when was the last time julia accepted to star in a good movie? i personally loved AOC but it got very mixed reviews and it went from being a big frontrunner to get only two oscar nominations. sadly that's her pattern: she jumps on trends when they are fading (snowwhite) and she works with talended people on their most disappointing works...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Wonder (2017)