"Wonder" AWARDS THREAD

Moderator: berlioz

27 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

"Wonder" AWARDS THREAD

Postby berlioz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 pm

i know it's early and i know this is not exactly an oscar-friendly movie, but - even if i'm never opstimistic about julia's chances , as you know! - i have a feeling that if the film is a hit and gets nice reviews julia could get some awards traction...

the film experience puts her in 6th place in their predictions

http://thefilmexperience.net/best-supporting-actress/

let's use this thread for predictions! (hopefully we'll get at least to page 3 lol)
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Re: "Wonder" AWARDS THREAD

Postby mcv on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm

i sure hope she gets nominated. but i hope the film is well reviewed first.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm

with many big names failing in cannes (kidman, moore...) this category is getting weaker.
i guess the trailer tomorrow will tell us if we can at least hope in a nomination for julia or if it's not an awards-friendly movie. the change of the release date seems to suggest it could get some awards attention.
we'll see...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:56 pm

I think festivals talk belongs here too.

Regarding TIFF:

' Wonder starring Julia Roberts is in the fest mix as well, though it perhaps is a shakier prospect for the fall trifecta.'

http://deadline.com/2017/07/toronto-fil ... 202134393/
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm

it's not going to tiff
that sucks
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

But more announcements to be made it seems

TIFF ✔ @TIFF_NET
More announcements coming up Aug 1, 3, 9, 15, 17, and our Official Film Schedule is released Aug 22!
5:15 PM - 25 Jul 2017
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 pm

i think it has a shot at TIFF.
but this was never really meant to be an award player, so it won't make any difference i think: i just hope we will have the chance to see julia shining at an international festival like she did for AOC.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Yanzi on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 am

NYC press screening for Wonder is starting on Nov.2nd, I will probably go the one on the 3rd and report back.
Yanzi
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am

great! i can't wait ;-)
thank you!
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

ok, nothing is gonna happen but the golden globes channel has uploaded an interview with julia and jacob

https://www.goldenglobes.com/video/juli ... r%E2%80%9D

and the blind side-comparison is making a lot of people do predictions...

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2017/11/18/w ... t-picture/
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 am

Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Christine Lahti, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Jacob Tremblay, Kate Winslet and Brad Goreski are among the notables who will appear in new interviews during the program.

https://www.thewrap.com/golden-globes-w ... niversary/

i hope this golden globe connection means that a nomination is coming...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

hope it happens.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby OrientExpress on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 am

Wonder’ Makes Awards Play

Is Wonder the latest entry into this season’s awards battle?

When Lionsgate moved the film from its original date to mid November some pundits misread that as an indication they were preparing for an Oscar run, but the studio actually just wanted to be in the lucrative holiday period for a family film , especially with kids out of school. Sources at the distributor have consistently maintained that they saw the inspirational and heartwarming film about a fifth grader born with a severe craniofacial disorder as more of a commercial play than one for awards and didn’t take it to any of the usual fall festivals, and in fact didn’t even participate in Deadline’s The Contenders earlier this month, a sure sign they weren’t chasing Oscar with this one. Plus add the fact that Lionsgate had just come off a grueling awards season with La La Land going all the way to take Best Picture only to have it snatched away moments later due to the now-infamous Academy envelope snafu, and the taste likely wasn’t there to dive right back in especially when there didn’t seem much buzz in the Oscarsphere for a nice little film based on a popular children’s book — but what a difference a weekend makes.

The film, which stars Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson and Jacob Tremblay, defied all expectations overperforming with $27 million in its first three days, gaining an impressive 86% fresh critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and landing a rare A+ Cinemascore stealing the thunder from what was considered a larger but disappointing opening from the more heavily touted Justice League. It was all instantly reminiscent of what happened when a similarly inspiring and feel good movie called The Blind Side shocked pundits with an equally strong 2009 Thanksgiving holiday period opening against a box office juggernaut (Twilight) , also getting an A+ Cinemascore, and going on to gross over $250 million in the U.S. alone. That film went on to win a Best Actress Oscar for Sandra Bullock and received a Best Picture nomination, something not even dreamed about by Alcon and Warner Bros before its opening. Is history about to repeat itself?

At last Sunday afternoon’s official Academy screening for Oscar voters in the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre at their Beverly Hills headquarters, the tears and cheers were flowing even if the vast theatre wasn’t overly crowded. No less than Oscar winner Eva Marie Saint made a beeline to meet director Stephen Chbosky (The Perks Of Being A Wallflower) and lavish him with praise for a film that clearly moved her. “We should nominate this for Best Picture,” said another member of the actor’s branch responding strongly to the film’s message of “Choose Kind” that seems to resonate in the current toxic atmosphere of the world at large. Producers Todd Lieberman and David Hoberman also participated in the post-screening Q&A and noted their other two films this year, Beauty And The Beast and Stronger ironically also dealt with lead characters triumphing over physical disability and challenges. Lieberman said the producing pair, last nominated for a Best Picture Oscar in 2010 for The Fighter, are drawn to disparate stories about overcoming the odds. It didn’t take long for Lionsgate to pounce. A DVD screener sans the usual slick packaging (no time?) in just a white paper sleeve was special delivered on Wednesday to awards voters with pending ballot deadlines including the Broadcast Film Critics (I am a member) where a note from Lionsgates Awards accompanying the disc asked for consideration in 16 categories listed including Best Picture and Best Actor for Tremblay who winningly plays Auggie, the young boy at the center of Wonder.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/wonder-awar ... 202214373/
OrientExpress
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:34 am

too bad julia took the backseat in the last days of promotion, being totally missing in action. some more press would have given her more visibility for the awards campaign. i think jacob has a shot at best actor at the GG. the supporting category seems pretty crowded and it has just 5 slots (comedy and drama being together). GG also snubbed her for TNH so it's not like they adore her like they used to.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby OrientExpress on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 pm

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS

Mckenna Grace – Gifted

Dafne Keen – Logan

Brooklynn Prince – The Florida Project

Millicent Simmonds – Wonderstruck

Jacob Tremblay – Wonder

------------------