'Money Monster' to Screen at Cannes Film Festival

Moderator: berlioz

111 posts • Page 1 of 81, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8

'Money Monster' to Screen at Cannes Film Festival

Postby berlioz on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:07 pm

YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Jodie Foster's Money Monster — starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts — has landed a berth at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The news means that at least one major Hollywood studio, Sony, will have a presence at this year's festival, which is set to run May 11-22. So far, the lineup has been kept under tight wraps as festival director Thierry Fremaux and his team finish watching films and mull their options.

Money Monster isn’t expected to be the opening-night film, according to insiders, but could screen early in the fest since it hits theaters in North America on May 13.

Sony declined comment.

In 2011, Foster's The Beaver also debuted at Cannes.

Sony Pictures vice chairman Tom Rothman scooped up Money Monster when running TriStar Pictures. Clooney plays TV personality Lee Gates, who offers stock advice on his hit show, Money Monster. Trouble unfolds in real-time when he's taken hostage by a viewer (Jack O'Connell) who claims he's been ruined financially.

Dominic West and Caitriona Balfe also star, with Roberts playing the executive producer of the TV show and Clooney's love interest.

Foster shot Money Monster last year in New York City.

In terms of other films that could play at this year's Cannes Film Festival, one possibility is Woody Allen's untitled romantic comedy set in the 1930s and starring Jeannie Berlin, Steve Carell, Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Corey Stoll and Ken Stott.

Allen is a Cannes regular, and Amazon recently acquired North American rights to the film and is planning a traditional theatrical release this summer before making it available to Amazon Prime members.

Tatiana Siegel contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-clooney-ju ... um=twitter

i knew cannes wouldn't pass on a clooney movie, i just knew it! timing was so perfect.

now, if julia will skip the event i'm gonna be SO SO SO mad!
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Re: 'Money Monster' to Screen at Cannes Film Festival

Postby berlioz on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Jodie Foster, George Clooney’s ‘Money Monster’ to Play Cannes Film Festival

Jodie Foster’s thriller “Money Monster,” starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts, will screen at the 69th Cannes Film Festival, Variety has confirmed.

The film’s inclusion has not officially been confirmed, but it appears likely that the financial thriller will screen on Thursday, the second night of the festival.

It marks a return to Cannes for Foster after her previous directorial effort, the Mel Gibson starrer “The Beaver,” screened out of competition in 2011. It is Roberts first time at Cannes.

The Sony/TriStar release stars Clooney as a financial TV personality whose program is taken hostage by a gunman (Jack O’Connell) angry over a bad stock tip, with Roberts playing the show’s producer. It’s set to open May 13 in the U.S., shortly after it plays Cannes on May 11.

An opening night film has not yet been named. Last year’s opener was French pic “Standing Tall.” Several previous openers were Hollywood titles including “Midnight in Paris,” “Moonrise Kingdom,” “The Great Gatsby,” “Grace of Monaco.”

As previously announced, director George Miller will preside over this year’s competition jury. The Cannes Film Festival runs May 11-22.

http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/ ... 201729439/

please julia do come, please please!
she's already been in the cote d'azur twice in the last few years for the lancome events in montecarlo during the month of may, so she could go to southern france for cannes AND for some lancome commitment! it would be great.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:05 pm

This is the best news ever. Clooney is good at something, finally lol.

And you were right B. regarding Cannes, I just hope Julia attends.

Let's all pray she doesn't skip it. Please Julia please please and please Lancôme make it happen.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:39 am

i dunno, it hasn't been officially confirmed. i hope julia goes. and that she looks good in the red carpet.

i just hope it's confirmed first.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 am

the official fb page of the movie confirmed the news, so i'm sure it's happening.
what i'm not sure about is julia's presence, but last year she went to paris just for the lancome 80th anniversary event, so playing to france for a movie premiere wouldn't be too much to ask.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:39 pm

The expectation is HUGE. I guess she is attending. The festival tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/CannesPalais/status ... 92/photo/1
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:24 am

it's official, MM is going to cannes (out of competition)

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/article/62135.html
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am

she better step it up fashion wise in the cannes red carpet. enough with the mini shorts
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:17 pm

the cannes image is so much selling this movie as a clooney-roberts thing

it's a bit misleading as julia's role is far less significant than o'connell's role. but it's great to see her name has still relevance.

i still expect her to wear a minidress at the press conference and a suit at the premiere.
she hasn't showed her arms since oscars 2014, and cannes red carpet must be one of the most frightening and frantic ever, it has a long stair to walk and it's the first time for her: i think she'll want to be as much as comfortable as possible as she's alway very nervous on the red carpet.
i'd love to see her wearing a short sparkling dress by elie saab like the ones she wore in 2014 at the emmyes and at the grammys. she looked sexy and yet so elegant in those... but i don't think it will happen.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 pm

berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon May 09, 2016 9:47 am

Julia Roberts is one that I usually just glance right past and I am hoping that come her very first Cannes Film Festival (I know it’s kinda shocking that it will be her first time) that she really wow’s me. I didn’t realize it when I did it but I also picked a BOSS look for Julia to wear for the Money Monster photocall. I picked a black long sleeve blouse paired with a white skirt with a black and white geometric print panel from the BOSS Pre-Fall 2016 collection. I think that Julia would look so chic over looking the French Riviera wearing this ensemble, though the top might be a little warm. For the premiere I can imagine Julia wearing a whole host of designers. I figure that she will wear a custom Givenchy couture gown, probably in black though I am hoping for some color. I went with this navy blue Schiaparelli Spring 2016 Couture asymmetrical draped gown. I think that this is chic and Julia would look absolutely gorgeous wearing it. It is just enough out of her standard that I think that it would never happen, but it would be absolutely gorgeous for her first Cannes appearance.

https://ifiwasastylist.wordpress.com/20 ... wish-list/

i also think tisci will design a costum made dress for her.

the premiere will be on may 12 at 19.30 (i suppose the stars will arrive after 19).
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon May 09, 2016 3:55 pm

I hope Julia will be asked to preside the jury one of these days.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

it would be so cool, but i think she would never do that.
almost two weeks away from her home watching like 10 movies a day, obliged to chang dezens of outfits and walk several red carpets? she'd probably prefer spending 5 days in hell LOL
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon May 09, 2016 5:45 pm

She said new experiences were fruitful for her, it'd be one f*cking rich experience to preside the jury Hahaa.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Next

111 posts • Page 1 of 81, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8

Return to Money Monster (2016)