"Money Monster" PROMO NEWS

Moderator: berlioz

68 posts • Page 4 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: "Money Monster" PROMO NEWS

Postby swamer on Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 pm

We kind of expected this after the reshoots, no?

Plus maybe they are counting on the Cannes screening to create the buzz.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Wed May 04, 2016 8:11 am

foster will be on jimmy fallon on may 9 and on conan on may 11 (this will be taped earlier as on may 11 there's the cannes premiere).

as they will probably fly to cannes on may 10, this means julia won't do any another talkshow :-(
(maybe we can hope for a pre-taped interview for GMA which will be aired next week?)

here's jodie's full interview with what the flick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRgayOLQyE
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri May 06, 2016 9:44 am

press junket yesterday: again, only jodie...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFDA6_HORl7 ... odiefoster
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri May 06, 2016 8:44 pm

o'connell was with jodie at the press junket

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFE6OWoQ3KJ ... odiefoster

so disappointing george and julia skipped the junket, i was so anticipating their interviews together :-(
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 pm

from the press junket

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFHldyBw3Fe ... liaroberts

love how articulate and smart jodie is.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon May 09, 2016 6:19 am

jodie will be at the today show (julia and george not listed in this week's guest list).

hopefully she'll be on GMA, but i don't know...

if this movie flops they should blame foster lol...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue May 10, 2016 8:04 am

jodie on today show

http://www.today.com/video/jodie-foster ... 1941059578

kelly and michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFPWZloF3m8

jimmy fallon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqsNcjjmlvA

she's so funny and witty, i'd love to watch her interact with julia in live motion... hopefully during the cannes press conference.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue May 10, 2016 8:29 am

INTERVIEW: Julia Roberts on her new film Money Monster

By Bob Strauss - Cineplex Magazine on May 9, 2016

Julia Roberts may not be the superstar she once was, and that’s perfectly all right with her.

“I think I try to do varied things just for my own creative impulses,” the 48-year-old actor says during an interview in Santa Monica, California. “I want things to be different and challenging. And I’m happy at home. It’s like, I’m creative in my household.”

It isn’t as if she never gets out of the house anymore. Roberts has two movies landing in theatres within two weeks this spring.

She’s part of Mother’s Day’s ensemble cast. That’s the second multi-story holiday confection, after 2010’s Valentine’s Day, she’s appeared in for director Garry Marshall, who helmed her star-making rom-com Pretty Woman in 1990.

That film, which came out at the end of April, casts Roberts as Miranda, an author and television personality confronted by the now-grown daughter she gave up for adoption. The film co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson and Jason Sudeikis.

Roberts’ other spring release, Money Monster, also has her character working in TV, but this time behind the scenes. She plays Patty Fenn, who produces and directs a financial advice show starring the cocky Lee Gates (George Clooney), who is also Patty’s lover. Apparently more self-confident than actually right, Gates has ruined as many investors as he’s helped, and when one of the disgruntled losers, Kyle Budwell (Unbroken’s Jack O’Connell), takes Gates hostage on air, Patty decides to keep the cameras rolling as the situation plays out.

This is Roberts’ fourth time sharing the screen with Clooney, after Ocean’s Eleven and Twelve and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind— the latter also being Clooney’s directorial debut.

There was another actor behind the camera for Money Monster; Jodie Foster took the helm for the fourth time, after Little Man Tate, Home For the Holidays and The Beaver.

“Listen, what sounds more amusing than me and George and Jodie together?” Roberts asks, not expecting an answer. “It’s just hilarious to me. It was great, really great.”

Not that Foster, winner of two Best Actress Oscars, doesn’t take directing seriously.

“I worship Jodie Foster 10 times as much now as before I worked for her,” Roberts says. “She’s really remarkable. Of course, you go, ‘Oh, she’s brilliant, she’s Jodie Foster.’ But to see it working, to see it going all the time, to be responsible for so much stuff — God, I would just never want to be that person. And she just does it and makes it look effortless. ‘Oh yes, can this go there, can this be over here?’ What?”

Does Roberts share her Money Monster colleagues’ desire to direct?

“No!” she says emphatically. “Listen, I get everybody out the door to school on time, clean, fed, happy. Like, that’s directing for all that I care.”

Roberts’ has three kids: twins Hazel and Phinnaeus, 11, and eight-year-old Henry. Her husband, cinematographer Danny Moder, sometimes works on Roberts’ films, such as last year’s Secret in Their Eyes.

“It’s not a break in the home routine when I make a movie,” Roberts explains. “Danny is very much a part of it, so there’s only one little element gone, though I like to think that I’m an important element! The movie that I did with George and Jodie, I worked days and [had] off-days, so I was back and forth a lot. But my daughter does refer to August: Osage County as "The Dark Time", because it was the first time that I ever left.”

In fact, Roberts has averaged about a movie a year for a decade. Even though some have been smaller films, or smaller roles in larger casts, the perception that she’s been out of the game isn’t an entirely accurate one.

Then again, few actors — and fewer actresses — have dominated the industry like Roberts did in the 1990s. Any pullback from that could be mistaken for a disappearance.

Starting with the happy hooker hit Pretty Woman, Roberts enjoyed a string of box-office successes that included thrillers (Flatliners, Sleeping With the Enemy, The Pelican Brief, Conspiracy Theory), tearjerkers (Dying Young, Stepmom), romantic comedies (Something to Talk About, My Best Friend’s Wedding, Notting Hill, Runaway Bride) and even played Tinker Bell in Steven Spielberg’s Hook. It all culminated with her Oscar-winning portrayal of the titular, real-life environmental activist in 2000’s Erin Brockovich.

Though not as spectacular, Roberts’ career this century boasts a number of impressive choices, especially in such prestige stage-to-screen adaptations as Osage County, Closer and TV’s "The Normal Heart", about the early days of the AIDS crisis.

“It’s just an instinct. I read a script and I’m connected to that thing and I think I want to accomplish this,” Roberts says with a shrug. “So it’s nice when things come up that are dreams, and then you think, ‘Did I dream the right dream?’”

As for that one hurdle many actresses rightly complain about — growing too old to fit into Hollywood’s best roles — Julia Roberts is having none of it. She’s doing what she wants, and that includes not feeling “aged-out” of the best opportunities.

“My last birthday, I don’t think I had felt so happy on a birthday in quite a long while,” she reports.

“I think part of that is just the happy space that I’m lucky enough to occupy in the world with my family and my friends. And I played mahjong all day. But also, you start to realize: What is the point in not being happy, about anything? There’s no value to it. There’s no value to think, ‘Oh my God, I’m 48!’”

http://www.cineplex.com/News/INTERVIEW- ... nster.aspx
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed May 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Coincidence or conspiracy? ;) because just two days before the movie's France release, a study showed that Julia and George are the most desirable celebrities by the French lol.

1. Julia Roberts (27%)
2 Charlize Theron (19%)

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2016/05 ... ncais.html
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed May 11, 2016 4:51 pm

'Money Monster' cast talk finance risk at Cannes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFwgd4Ga9Ko
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm

berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 pm

DEADLINE: What about Julia?
FOSTER: I just assumed Julia Roberts would say no; it never occurred to me she might say yes. George gave her the script, and talked to her. It wasn’t very long before shooting that she said yes.

DEADLINE: She reminds me of you a little. She built this star career, and then went off and lived her life, but didn’t wear out her welcome so when she returns it’s like seeing an old friend you’ve missed.
FOSTER: We’ve all been in this for a really long time; me, George, Julia. We all have our survival tools, and I think we’re all fairly well-adjusted. But we each did it the way that was right for us and the good news is we’re not like casualties lying in a hotel room at 3AM. It does require some thinking and some organizing to make sense of it all. Man, she is just so great in the movie. She brings something that I could never anticipate. I watch her on the screen, on the monitor, and I’m just like, “My God, she’s so connected and so real and lovable.” I don’t know how she does it. You just want to follow this character she found. I realized it on set, but I shot so fast. Once I got in the cutting room I saw things that just made me want to be with Julia all the time. It was only then that we realized how much she really is our anchor. She is the voice in the ear of this host being held hostage, and she’s producing his survival as he is held captive in a chair, faced with a This Is Your Life treatment of all his failings and things he’s done wrong. She’s his Jiminy Cricket; an interesting dynamic I hadn’t fully realized until I saw it. After all, they weren’t in the same room; I did everything with George and then later with Julia. But I sure saw it when I cut it together.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/jodie-foste ... 201750922/
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri May 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Jodie Foster on Making Julia Roberts Her Money Monster Hero

“You spend a lot of time developing scripts and changing scripts so that the female characters are deeper than they are on the page,” the director says.

by Julie Miller

Jodie Foster was 13 when she first attended the Cannes Film Festival, in 1976, for Taxi Driver, which won the Palme d’Or. And according to festival legend, the actress upstaged Martin Scorsese and co-star Robert De Niro by using her fluency in French to translate questions during the film’s press conference.

“I might have,” Foster chuckles when asked whether this anecdote is true on the phone last week. “I vaguely remember that everybody got a kick out of the fact that I spoke French and knew what everyone was saying.”

Exactly 40 years later, the Oscar-winning actress returns to the Croisette this week with her own film, Money Monster, her most ambitious directorial project to date. The Wall Street thriller stars Hollywood heavyweights Julia Roberts and George Clooney; resolves a multi-billion-dollar Wall Street heist in real time; and manages to get justice for the everyman underdog swindled out of his savings in a tight 98 minutes. But perhaps the most noticeable triumph in this film, which hits multiplexes at the same time as the famously male-centric summer-movie slate, is that its females get to be the problem solvers.

Yes, Clooney dazzles front and center as the charismatic host of the cable finance talk show Money Monster. It is Julia Roberts’s cool-headed director, though, who takes the lead when an audience member (Jack O’Connell) who lost his life’s savings on a bad stock tip storms the set and takes the crew hostage on-air.

“She really is the hero of the movie and is able to multi-task and get more done in this crisis than even authorities,” Foster concedes of the rare alpha female on-screen. “She’s producing Clooney’s survival.” And unlike many of Hollywood’s other lifesaving women, Roberts gets to do so without being vacuum-packed into spandex and six-inch heels.

“I love that she’s so natural in the film,” Foster says. “She’s wearing a parka, and she has this quiet, calm power.”

The character was not always written that way, however.

In the original script, Foster says, the character “really just directed the show, so she would say, ‘Go to [camera] one, go to two, go to three.’ You spend a lot of time developing scripts and changing scripts so that the female characters are deeper than they are on the page,” the filmmaker adds nonchalantly, as though this has become a commonplace task throughout her 40-year career. (In two films, Foster has completely rehauled roles written for men to play them herself—in Flightplan and Elysium.)

Roberts’s character is able to exist in Money Monster’s world of finance, television, and hostage situations without any expositional reference to a family or love interest. She does not turn to men while in the face of danger. In fact she helps her mostly male crew members escape to safety and challenges the suggestions of authorities while still directing the live program. (O’Connell’s character demands that the show continues to air live as part of his explosive-aided plea.) In essence, Roberts’s character is able to exist on the same terms as her male counterparts—a through line that Foster has maintained with the characters she herself plays on-screen.

Describing the common thread between her roles, like in The Silence of the Lambs, The Accused, and Panic Room, Foster told The New York Times recently that they are “solitary characters who don’t have mothers and fathers and boyfriends.” They also “have an experience that’s all mine, and I don’t really want to share it.”

Another shared characteristic of her acting roles is that they have erred mostly on the dramatic end of the genre spectrum, while she prefers directing films that have layers of comedy, like Money Monster, which offers some genuinely sharp-witted moments.

“I tend to be drawn to really dark dramas that don’t have a lot of lightness to them as an actress,” Foster admits about her different tastes in material, depending on whether she is acting or directing. “As a director, I can’t make a movie unless there’s some comedy to it. I have to be able to look at my life and laugh a little bit. I’m not that interested, honestly, in directing a film that doesn’t have different facets to my personality.”

Comedy, she demurs, “is not my genre as an actor. It really isn’t. It’s really hard work, by the way, much harder than doing dramas, and it requires you to keep that energy throughout.”

Foster says she lucked out with her two Money Monster leads, who were not only used to keeping up that comedy endurance, but have an easy rapport from other on-screen collaborations like Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve, and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

“They have this dynamic that precedes the movie,” Foster says of Clooney and Roberts. “This baggage they bring or this connection as brother and sister, this bond that they have, it just infuses their relationship without even having to try.”

But, ironically, it was not the script’s elements about overcoming odds—as Roberts and co-star Caitriona Balfe do—that resonated with Foster as much as the script’s examination of failure.

“I was interested in this idea of men and failure and their overwhelming [need to] measure themselves—continually trying to figure out how much they’re worth and how much of that is pegged to what they possess or how much money they have or what they’ve accomplished,” Foster explains of what attracted her to the project. “There’s no place where you get to see that sense of disappointment and failure more than in the eyes of the women who love them. That dynamic was really interesting to me.”

On the subject of dynamics, we asked Foster about Hollywood’s persisting problem with its lack of female directors. Foster admits that she has seen some advances in on-set gender equality.

“I grew up in the business when there were hardly any women at all, maybe a script supervisor every once in a while or a makeup lady. There are more women faces, and there a lot more women technicians now. Certainly women executives, but the one area that hasn’t changed very much is women directors and, specifically, in mainstream studio movies.

“It’s a really complicated discussion, and it’s been broken down into a couple of buzzwords about diversity,” Foster says. “It’s much more complicated than that, and it’s not going to be changed by quotas. It’s our culture that has to change. We have to figure out what are the stories that we want to tell. Do we want to tell the same five stories about the same white guys? It’s just more complicated than that.”

She adds, “My favorite feminist director is Jonathan Demme,” referring to her Silence of the Lambs director. “He makes personal movies that are about underdogs, and he’s a really maternal presence on the set. He’s all about loyalty. You don’t have to be a woman to make female-identified movies, and vice versa is true, as well.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... -interview
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Bryson ‏@Escapade1935 6 min
Jodie Foster dodged that question in a pretty ungainly fashion, ie. the answer is Julia Roberts got paid less than George Clooney, then?

Greg Sanderson ‏@gregsanderson 6 min
Wonderful moment when Will Gompertz asks Jodie Foster if Julia Roberts and George Clooney got paid the same

Morrissey's Manbag ‏@384KingsRd 7 min
Jodie Foster won't tell us if George Clooney and Julia Roberts were paid the same. #JodieFoster is full of shit.

Kirstie B ‏@kirstie_b23 2 min
Did George Clooney & Julia Roberts get paid in #MoneyMonster? Jodie Foster didn't want to answer that qu. even after discussing gender bias

Gothgirl ‏@GrumpyGoth 4 min
Jodie Foster refusing ŧo confirm George Clooney & Julia Roberts got equal pay for her new film (about journalistic integrity!) #GuessNot
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Oh God what is this shit? Donn't want Julia to be affected by this in any way.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

PreviousNext

68 posts • Page 4 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Return to Money Monster (2016)