"Money Monster" FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Moderator: berlioz

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

"Money Monster" FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Postby swamer on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm

There is a screening next week. I can't wait for the first reactions.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Re: "Money Monster" FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Postby berlioz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:22 pm

can't wait! i'm not very nervous about the reactions actually, we know this is not an awards player due to kind of movie and release date.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:55 pm

i've written a pm to the guy at AW formus who has attended the screentest and he already replied.
he basically said the movie is ok, an enjoyable but kind of forgettable action movie.
i'm waiting for his answer, if he doesn't mind i'll copy his full review here.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Are you talking about Jeff? lol. He answered me too and I'm waiting for the other guy's answer.

Yeah he seems to have enjoyed it but mentioned that there was nothing special about the acting and directing.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 pm

he said it was fine, so here his "review"

This movie was pretty good, just a typical run of the mill thriller and nothing more. Apart from know that Jodie Foster directed, George and Julia were in it, and it had something to do with stocks, I didn't really know anything else about it, so when it began I was worried we were in for another Big Short type hip movie about the NY hot shots. Luckily the movie gets going pretty quickly after about 15 minutes and the main story takes place involving Jack O'Connell holding George Clooney (aka Jim Cramer from Mad Money) hostage along with the rest of the TV crew.

There's really nothing to praise here, the acting's fine, though O'Connell gets a bit annoying and Dominic West pretty much does nothing. It seems as though Jodie Foster rewatch Flightplan and Panic Room to take notes. There aren't any bad directing choices here but there's nothing to go wow about either. The story tries to be a little too clever during the final act (and a little too unrealistic), but whatever. There were a few funny moments throughout though which I enjoyed.

But really, this is a movie that's gonna be playing on TNT on Saturday nights for years to come next to all those Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis action movies from the past decade or two. In fact, I remember watching a TV movie (that I think was on TNT) called Murder Live! which was pretty much the same premise except it was an Oprah like talk show, and I think I liked that film better because it didn't take itself too seriously and was kind of campy and fun. Don't plan on seeing any awards here. It's not a bad movie, but I wouldn't go rushing to the theater opening weekend.

As far as reshoots, I couldn't really tell, though as I said, I felt the final act wasn't as good as the rest of the film, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's where the reshoots took place (and I guess I could see where they were if they were made). Or in other words, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an alternate ending already filmed.

that's pretty much the best we could expect given the script, which is solid but not very original and interesting.
it's probably a movie that won't be adding anything special to her resume: the thing i'm anticipating the most is the promo tour with george, but after the disappointment with SITE (where julia and nicole din't even share a magazine cover) i'm not expecting to much.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:54 pm

The other person who saw the movie enjoyed it too and liked its humour but compared it to... OBIC (mcv don't kill me lol).
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:23 am

Was this screened at Tribeca tonight? Jodie did a Q&A...any reactions?
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue May 10, 2016 6:52 pm

My friend in France (who is also a member here) is going to watch the movie after tomorrow. I'm going to watch it in the weekend, generally on Sunday. It comes out in Morocco the 12th too.

Super excited :D
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Vieszcy on Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 pm

I am the friend of French swamer.
I saw the movie last night!
Devilishly effective, honest and taking, "Money Monster" is the expected cinematic slap, Jodie Foster directed his actors very well, Jack O'Connell great as usual and Julia Roberts with character, we had not seen as involved for years.
Many outstanding with more bounce, it will not bored one second, I think 1:30 happening too fast! I already want to see the film.
Honestly, Julia is quite nice, simple in white blouse, though in the end it is horrible with the green jacket!
Vieszcy

Postby swamer on Fri May 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Thank you V for sharing. You are the first one to review the movie here.

I can't wait for my turn :)
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Sat May 14, 2016 4:50 am

This is a fun popcorn thriller that WORKS! Jodie pulled it off. It's got a perfect beginning and ending... loses it's way a little bit in the middle... but it's the perfect length. George is good... Jack is great...Julia is perfect.

George and Julia still have such great chemistry... loved the final scene with them. It also has humor and yeah, I think there's an audience for this. It seems like this is going to open well enough.... so interested to see what the legs are... and the overseas numbers.
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon May 23, 2016 1:29 pm

i watched the movie yesterday.

it was a while since the last time i had watched a julia movie in theatre!

i liked the movie. having read the script before, it was pretty much as i expected: a solid, old-school action/thriller, tense and with good performances. nothing memorable, not a movie i would have watched in theatre if it wasn't for julia, but it was enjoyable.

i thought it was too short, i would have loved to know a bit better the characters: kyle is the one with the most detailed background, patty and lee are not, you would like to know them better.

i think jodie did a fine jod, the balance between humor and suspance was well managed.

clooney and o'connell were both good and effective.

as for julia, it was so refreshing to watch her playing a character you root for, a likeable, strong but not bitchy/passive-aggressive woman. she was good and believable - i've always thought she's great in action movies like sleeping with the enemy or pelican brief. the role was not very well-developed and unfortunately she didn't have very much to do.

if i rember correctly, in the first draft there's a reference to a past romantic involvement between patty and lee, which was absolutely cut from the movie: that was an interesting and somehow modern choice, which is very in line with foster's idea of women in films (they are not defined by men but they are independent).

it's still so bizzarre that america's sweetheart, known for her romantic roles, is basically playing ONLY women who are single and not romantically involved: the queen in mirror mirror, barbara in AOC (she's divorced), emma in TNH, jess in SITE, and i think also miranda in MD. and if i'm not wrong the protagonist of fool me once is a widow. it is really strange (i mean, meryl streep at 66 is playing much more frequently "romantic" roles than julia) and in some way i think it kind of explains why julia is not that popular anymore even among her long-time fanbase. not that it's a bad thing, it's just intersting to notice that: it's not very frequent for leading ladies to play single women for so many years in a row.

on a side note, she looked great. considering she had hair undone, minimal make-up and very basic clothes, she looked good. i think it's the movies where she has the most close-up shots, and she's always so expressive and vibrant, her skin is luminous and her eyes sparkling. it was nice to see that she can still use THAT face without hiding it under awful wigs/make-up/eye-lens.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Sun May 29, 2016 8:50 pm

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. My audience loved it too.

Julia was great, even with thousands screens in a small control room, she did show all the right emotions. I love that she has an expressive face, especially her eyes, without being theatrical.

Jack was good, but not the MVP. I enjoyed George a lot, he was funny and entertaining, the kind of characters that he plays very well. I think all the cast was good.

The mvp for me is Jodie. Maybe because I was rooting for her and didn't want her to disapoint. But the movie is too short, I heard other people saying they wished it lasted 15 more minutes.

I also wanted more scenes of Julia and George. Their onscreen chemistry is intense and they don't seem to act at all, because of their real life friendship, but they made their characters and the story believable.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Money Monster (2016)