'Secret In Their Eyes': OUR REVIEWS

Discuss the 2015 movie.

Moderator: berlioz

27 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: 'Secret In Their Eyes': OUR REVIEWS

Postby berlioz on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:35 pm

not sure it's just that...

i mean, nicole kidman in the hours with the gray hair and the fake nose looked better than julia in SITE and TNH: there's just something so harsh, sad and kind of lifeless about the way she looks on screen now, like she's alway tired or pissed or ill.
i don't know know, even if her acting is great and everything, i think seeing her looking like this in EVERY movie makes people feel old and sad ("god, to think how pretty and magnetic she was when i used to watch every movie of hers with my high-school girlfiend..."): none of her fan-base will ever be interested in seeing her like this, nor will appreciate this turn even if it means she's become "a serious actress". that's my point.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 am

i think she purposefully does it for these couple of roles she has done. and i am sick of it.

someone needs to tell her she doesn't need to look like a mess in order to give a good performance.

she hasn't lost her looks. you see in press junket interviews, in instagram pictures by her stylist, the givenchy fashion show, the paparazzi pics, she still looks smashing. throw makeup and do her hair, she looks great and she has that spark.

she wore contacts to glaze her eyes for SITE. she was in a wheelchair and looked like a grandmother in the normal heart. i think she looked the part in august osage county. mother's day looks like another big mess.

someone needs to tell this woman to stop. to either play one good role a year, that doesn't cloak her natural glow or to just retire. she is devastatingly ugly in SITE. that's the truth. but i guess that's in the "role".

i can't help but think she's trolling us. maybe she'll do a comeback where her hair is all curly and big and she flashes her smile and is funny and gives a complicated performance like MBFW. i'm leaving the porch light on.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:47 am

i think she is really f-cking up with these roles and the wigs? jesus. pick a better wig.
most of the gays on twitter's reaction to mother's day is making fun of her godawful "helix" wig. i think she really liked that wig for some reason and has always dreamt to wear it on a movie and garry marshall is just the kind of dementia ridden director to allow that to happen.
she looks great in money monster's trailer. even if her hair is pulled back, her face is still expressive and her eyes look alert and she looks like a normal human being as opposed to the walking dead in SITE.
i remember watching mona lisa smile and thinking she looked tired. and now i watch it and i think of her look in SITE and there's just no comparison.
eat pray love was just 6 years ago. she hasn't changed that much, face wise. why not that julia?!?!?!! why do you want to age 20 years older!?!?!! what is wrong with you!!!!!!
can julia hear this?!?!?!?!?! juliiiiaaa. hahahaha

sorry i've lost my mind now.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:07 am

every news that an actress of her age or older has gotten a plum role depresses the f-ck out of me and there's still no news about what her next role will be and then there's the fear that the next role will be another deglam bullsh-t. i mean, julianne moore is in the next clooney directed movie (which by the way, i'm sensing will be another flop LOL but still) and cate keeps going up. nicole keeps trying (LOL) and sandra is clever (i even found OBIC entertaining even if it's another white savior bullsh-t). laura dern is gonna work with acclaimed documentary filmmaker alex gibney. aniston has a new project which sounds eerily close to the blind side. oh julia... her career is an anomaly of sorts. how can such a successful actress in her twenties (even in her thirties) fail so hard (even if she got a fraudulent nomination in 2013)? i can only blame her. and her family.

i mean the actresses a generation before. let's see what they were up to when they were 48...

jessica lange - a thousand acres
meryl streep - first do no harm (tv movie)
diane keaton - amelia earhart: the final flight (tv movie)
susan sarandon - the client
sigourney weaver - alien resurrection

okay so her choices don't look so awful now. there's precedent to the tv work but the deliberate ugliness and severe downplaying of her natural prettiness, there's no precedent for that. it's unexpected. i mean what kind of 48 year old actress would make herself look plain or downright ugly in her work? that's just crazy.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 am

LOL

it's not fair to compare 48 of 2015 to 48 of the early 90s. now at 50 an actress can book a vogue cover and be the love interest (not just the mom). things have changed, actresses over 45 can still be hot and in demand. meryl and jessica at 50 looked and were considered middle-aged women, while one would hardly call sandra and aniston meddle-aged women.
and before that it was even worse: audrey hepburn and liz taylor were basically over at 40. even bette davis (who was never famous for her looks, so had less trouble in getting older) had very few good roles after all about eve (she was only 40 then!).

but for some odd reason julia is not taking advantage of this, of the fact that now an actress can play several LEAD roles even after 45.

and as for her looks, i know she looks fantastic at events and talk shows, but for some reason after ocean's 11 she often looks tired, plain and less luminous in movies, even when it's not required for the role. it's just a fact.
i agree, in MLS she looked very pale and tired, and again it was partly her choice: i suppose that to underline katherine's modernity, julia decided that she was the only one not wearing red lipstick (except for the wedding scenes) and not having the clasic 50s wavy hair but just a messy pony tail.
she is probably the less vain actress of all time...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:25 am

Do you feel better mcv? Lol. But I get your point.

I think that this is just a phase. Look at how long Sandra waited until The Proposal, I guess her fans were just as worried as we are now. Nicole too, she had like a decade of trying which must be depressing. I guess this is our turn to witness that.

Sometimes I think that Jules isn't interested in playing many parts that end up being great with other actresses. I think she plays what she feels her age allows her to play. And the spark isn't gone. She needs to hire Genevieve on movie sets of the makeup and stops hiring Dany who makes her look less pretty. Danny you're not at home!

Some other times, I just think that she feels she'd sone it all. She had a fulfilling 90's and early 00's. And it's not if she was a fame seeker or chasing parts lefts and rights. She's no Winslet, or Blanchett. She has tons of money. She doesn't even need to work if she wanted to. I think she works when the part captivates her or when Garry calls her.

The point is her career in not her priority. We HAVE to deal with it, me first. This is how I am convincing myself that I should stop expecting big exciting announcements from her.

The best thing she has ever done is the Lancôme contract. At least I can see her in malls.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am

swamer wrote:
I think that this is just a phase. Look at how long Sandra waited until The Proposal, I guess her fans were just as worried as we are now. Nicole too, she had like a decade of trying which must be depressing. I guess this is our turn to witness that.

except that time is an issue: these are the last years she has to get interesting leading roles. after she hits 50-55 it will be much more difficult, and the competition will be harder becasue there will be very few roles and many actresses more workhaolic than julia (moore, blanchett, kidman, watts...). she cannot wait other 10 years to have a come-back.

also, the fact she only does things that she finds captivating: what did she find so captivating in MM, for exemple? it's such a nothing role... i cannot believe she couldn't find anything more substantial and meaty.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:33 am

i feel like there's such a disconnect with julia on this board...

i doubt she'd love the personal attacks on her looks...i'm sure it's not a conscious effort, but it's there.

and then this idea that julia is turning down all these projects...

How many movies star women in a year?
How many movies star a woman over 40?

Julia is an icon who will always work.

And i haven't seen Secret a second time yet, but her talent is undeniable in it even if the direction killed the films success.

Also, the head of STX came out and said he slashed the budget in half and took blame for the films failure.

But I don't think she's necessarily second choice ... outside of Closer.... Julia and Cate don't get offered a lot of the same stuff. And neither does Julianne. The difference is Julianne and Cate were never box office. They are character actors.

When they make a good romantic comedy... when was the last romantic comedy not produced by Judd Apatow?
Then I'll be the first to complain that she didn't do it.

Julia is clearly having a great life and is very involved in every aspect of what she chooses to do or not do.

But remember she is 49 this year... Meryl had Music of the Heart the year she was 49...
Susan Sarandon only had 3 LEAD roles after she won the Oscar at 45.
Goldie Hawn is retired.
Diane Keaton pops up with lead stuff every few years or significant supporting stuff (but is it good?)
Judi Dench is semi-retired...
Helen Mirren does work in lead and supporting. She's easily the number two after Streep.
But what happened to Glenn Close?
Sally Field moved to TV and hasn't and a lead role since .... ???
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:30 am

cate and julianne may have started as character actresses but now the feel much more like movie stars than julia: they get leading roles in movies that often make more money than julia's ones (blue jasmine, cinderella...). they are in the conversation, they are much more relevant and beloved now than when they were 35.

and about the lack of roles, i don't know if it's better to pretend it's her choice because of the family, or to convince herself that she just doesn't get that many offers... in the first case, it means she just doesn't care and it's very frustrating, in the second case it means she's really no a-list anymore (if MD and MM are the best script she can get).

but we're going off-topic here: back to SITE, it probably had the misfortune of being produced by a small company, but it was not going to be successful anyway. even in the 90s, when generic thrillers with big stars used to do very well at the bo, i don't think it would have been big. there was something missing, it was out of focus or something...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 pm

I loved the movie, even it feels like a 90's film, and I particularly loved Julia and Chiwetel's performances. Really both great! Nicole was good too.

I had a hard time not comparing some scenes with the original. But as I saw it with my family members who didn't see the original, they enjoyed it a lot and made me forget about the original for a while.

So many flaws but essentially, many flashbaks were meaningless and the wigs bothered me. Also, Julia didn't have to look that ugly and old, the total opposite of Nicole who looked like a woman in her mid-thirties. I think making Julia look ugly and Nicole look so elegant, pretty and young was an unecessary move. Why not just play something closer to the reality (of the story of course). The only thing that changed in their apperances in thirteen years was the horrible wigs. Also some scenes were terribly shot (Danny???).

But Julia nailed it. I think she feels more comfortable playing these dramatic roles, she's so perfect and great. Was the movie a bit more exposed and promoted, she'd have had a random nod. I think that in two or three years, she will find the dramatic leading role that will show her emotional range.

Anyway, it's not an extraordinary thriller, and not a total flop. I give it a B
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby tsakos on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:13 am

o julia is amazing in this movie.in my opinion this is the best julia s movie the last five years very interesting movie
tsakos

Postby Mark on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:22 am

i had read a lot about the soccer chase sequence of the original film.

i can only talk about the remake and i think it's the main reason the movie didn't take off for me. the opening shot is good (good job danny)

but then... bllly is unable to build suspense. there's nothing original about the sequence. it starts and stops. and the actors are fine. there's just nothing new about it.
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Previous

27 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to The Secret In Their Eyes (2015)