Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motes Dies

Published newspieces from newspapers, the net and other reliable sources.

Moderator: berlioz

71 posts • Page 2 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motes Dies

Postby Checkmate on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 pm

swamer wrote:Now, it looks like it's Julia who is the one to blame. What a mess.
They were spotted back in 2006: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ation.html
I really respect Julia for letting her personal life private, never commented before and sure she won't comment.

That's not Nancy, that is Julia's publicist Marcy. The Daily Mail is wrong yet again.

Also, there's no way Julia is ever commenting on any of this, nor should she. It's a private family matter and they obviously have some issues within that family (Eric and Emma were tweeting yesterday basically like nothing had happened).
Checkmate
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby Linda on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Ugh. This is a mess. I feel so bad for Julia. Nancy was obviously a very unstable person.

And yeah, that's Marcy, not Nancy. Ugh. They don't even look alike. And the pic of Jules, Nancy and their mom can't be while filming MBFW, her hair is all wrong. Looks more like "I love trouble".
Linda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lindsayw on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Such a mess. I really hope Julia doesn't take on any guilt (or at least finds the strength to let it go). I had a feeling it could be suicide, and a possible attempt to hurt Julia with all the recent promotion / success of AOC. I hope that's not the case for Julia's sake, so so sad.
lindsayw
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:11 pm

yes, that was clearly marcy! sloppy journalism...

Nancy was clearly a woman who needed help and i'm sad for her, but what she did (selling private photos and life details to trashy magazines) was really tasteless and awful. julia may have many flaws, but she never said bad things about eric, Nancy, micheal motes or any other member of her family.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:42 am

that's why i don't feel sorry for nancy motes.
she strikes me as a bit of a stalker and her suicide reminds me of that guy who killed himself for bjork. really destructive and she may have been mentally ill too.
looks like she was hung up on julia and i don't blame julia for staying the f-ck away from the wacko after that interview.
what worries me is if this story is big enough to warrant a comment from julia's camp. i think it is but i don't know what she can say. i hope that f-ckin suicide letter doesn't see the light of day
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Checkmate on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:09 am

I'm sure Julia loved her sister and it's incredibly sad that this happened.

I do not think Julia needs to issue a statement or talk about this, it's a private matter. The media can make of it what they will, but she's never been one to air out personal family matters and I don't see her doing it this time as tragic as this circumstance is. She never talked about her relationship and rift with Eric and I don't expect this to be any different.

The bottom line is that it's really nobody's business. She doesn't owe anyone a comment or explanation on her personal relationships - specifically not with her family members. I do think that Julia's going to avoid public appearances for a while and I don't really expect to see her at the Oscars.
Checkmate
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby Rico on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:45 am

This is a horrible time for Julia and her family. However, as I see it, it is a very private matter that we shouldn't even speculate or talk about. We shouldn't be part of this machinery, not fuel it one way or the other.

We will never know the whole truth (and neither should we), so all we can do is pretend to be psychologists when what we really do is gossip about people who we don't even know.

I d rather not talk about this at all. My thoughts are with Julia and Nancy's family and friends. I hope she has found peace.

if you want to sing out, sing out.
Rico
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Nuno on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:00 pm

This is all over the news here in Portugal today, and they emphasize the the suicide note and the fact that Nancy killed herself because of Jules. :(
Nuno
Veteran JuliaFanatic
Veteran JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm

The news is everywhere. I found a nasty tweet from the brother of Nancy's fiancé:
http://cdn-elle.ladmedia.fr/var/plain_s ... erence.png

I hope that Julia will handle this situation in the best way possible. It's cruel when the media accuses a celebrity. Everyone follows. Too sad.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 pm

i am so disturbed by this whole thing.

i am not buying that nancy motes was bullied.

i think she set out to destroy julia's career and i don't see how julia's reputation can recover from this, at least in the same way she did after the many controversies she has been through before.

i hope she quits for a year. i won't begrudge her a long hiatus and then she can come back BIG.

i do not think she will go to the oscars now. but i so hope she wins.

this is so heartbreaking, guys.
i know i don't profit from julia's success but to think that she was actually more visible than ever and then this happens.

ugh

i cannot forgive nancy motes for this. i know she's dead and i'm not family but on behalf of julia's career, i really wish she never existed to begin with.

harsh, yes. but whatever.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 pm

i really think julia shoud attend the oscars and face the public. it's the only way to ge through a mess like that. like reese whiterspoon did after the arrest, she just went to the premiere of her movie and put a brave face.
julia's pr team was able to handle the vera moder thing, i think they can handle this too.
they are already trying, as this article shows:

Julia Roberts wanted sister to go to rehab
http://www.contactmusic.com/story/julia ... ab_4064903

i'm extremely sad because julia was so happy, relaxed and enthusiastic during this award season, she worked hard for that nomination and she was clearing enjoying every moment of her success and renewed popularity.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Rico on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Really, mcv?

I mean I don't know how Julia will deal with it personally, but the public will have forgotten about this in a month. This will not tarnish Julia's reputation, IMO. I mean I ve read a couple of user comments on a really bad German yellow-press site, and they were all saying that it was a drug-addict speaking, who was trying to blame somebody else for her personal failures. I don't know if Germans tend to blame the weak for their weaknesses, but I think most people might be level-headed enough to consider this a very sad, but private affair that has much more complexity than "julia was a bitch to me"- Nancy was quite obviously an unhappy person.

Nobody kills themselves at the age of 37 because of somebody else, and writes a blame letter on top of that. That is something teenagers do, but they want to be found, rather actually die. People who kill themselves usually have better reasons, i.e. depression, drug-addiction etc.

Rico
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby lindsayw on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 pm

I agree, all the comments I've read sympathise with Julia and are more than level headed in understanding that Nancy clearly was an unsettled person.... Even if she wasn't depressed and / or a drug addict, if she killed herself purely to hurt Julia that alone speaks volumes.

I also think she should attend the Oscars, ok maybe no red carpet but the sooner it's dealt with the sooner it will go away, in the eyes of the press and public anyway.
lindsayw
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Rico on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 am

well, if there is one thing for certain, Julia has a pretty intriguing family background.

If there was ever any doubt as to whether Julia would get a biopic at one point, these doubts can now be cast away. I mean look at Nancy's friends/ fiancé. This is perfect soap material (sorry if this sounds cynical).

in a way, I think this might actually raise interest in Julia, and not just in a sad exploitative way, because her life had been pictured perfect for the last 12 years, but that's not what people want to see or read about. In this Nancy Motes affair, you are forced to take a stand, without really knowing anything.. It's polarising, it's the stuff of legends. In a way, I feel that is what Nancy had actually hoped for.

Rico
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:16 am

Rico wrote:well, if there is one thing for certain, Julia has a pretty intriguing family background.

If there was ever any doubt as to whether Julia would get a biopic at one point, these doubts can now be cast away. I mean look at Nancy's friends/ fiancé. This is perfect soap material (sorry if this sounds cynical).

in a way, I think this might actually raise interest in Julia, and not just in a sad exploitative way, because her life had been pictured perfect for the last 12 years, but that's not what people want to see or read about. In this Nancy Motes affair, you are forced to take a stand, without really knowing anything.. It's polarising, it's the stuff of legends. In a way, I feel that is what Nancy had actually hoped for.

it's probably true.
also, the comments on the worst gossip sites (from perez to dailymail or celebitchy), which are usually anti-julia, seem to sympathize with her, while comments were very hard on julia last summer, when the bullying rumors were spread.

it's still sad that julia's white trash-background is out there, as julia has clearly tried to keep it private in all those years... unlike many celebs, she was never the kind to give tell-all interviews about her difficult childhood: on the contrary she always tries to give the idea she have always had a happy life, even if this is probably not true (the loss of her father, the abusive step-father, the feuds with eric and Nancy...).
at least her relationships with betty lou and lisa seem to be strong and healthy.

i hope the funeral won't be turned into a circus. and i hope julia doesn't live the house for 3 week and then appears at the oscars. considering that even the most reclusive actors attend the ceremony (sean penn, christian bale...), it would be so shocking to the average public (who maybe didn't even read the Nancy stories on tabloids) see a still image of julia when the best supporting actress award is given. her missing the show would only increase the public awarness of the "scandal" i think.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

PreviousNext

71 posts • Page 2 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Return to News