Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motes Dies

Published newspieces from newspapers, the net and other reliable sources.

Moderator: berlioz

71 posts • Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motes Dies

Postby berlioz on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 pm

The half-sister of Julia Roberts has died of an apparent drug overdose, her family announced Monday.

Nancy Motes, 37, was the youngest sister of Julia and actor Eric Roberts.

She was found dead Sunday in Los Angeles, the family says in a statement.

"It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose," the statement reads. "There is no official report from the Coroner's office yet. The family is both shocked and devastated."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... adlines%29

shit i knew something was wrong as soon as i read about the kimmel cancellation... :-(
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Re: Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motts Dies

Postby Lizza on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 pm

This is really sad news. Poor Julia.
Lizza
Beginner JuliaFanatic
Beginner JuliaFanatic

Postby lindsayw on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Such sad news, and thats 2 overdoses for Julia with PSH just the other week.

There are some lovely unseen pics of Julia and Nancy from these ridiculous articles a while back (unseen to me anyway).

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1423079

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ather.html
lindsayw
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Very sad. Condolences to Motes and Roberts families. I feel sorry for her mom who must be devastated. Losing a child is very hurting. I hope she hadn't kids.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Linda on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:53 pm

This is such awful news. And at such a joyous time for Julia professionally. Too much grief for one week. :(
Linda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nuno on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to both families...
Nuno
Veteran JuliaFanatic
Veteran JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm

sad for julia

also worried. i know i gotta be more sensitive. don't you think this would see a resurgence of the "my older half sister taunted me for my weight issues" thing?
this would really put a dampen of the whole oscars thing for julia.
i don't even think she'd go to the oscars anymore.

this whole sister saga was really a doozy though.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:19 am

more details

Julia Roberts' Half-Sister Found Dead in LA Apartment

Actress Julia Roberts is said to be mourning the recent death of her half-sister, Nancy Motes, who was found dead in a Los Angeles apartment.

The incident occurred on Sunday, February 9, and police are at the moment speculating that she died of a drug overdose. Roberts' youngest sister was actually pet-sitting at the house during the time of her death. Her body was discovered by her fiancé.

An official from the Los Angeles County Coroner told the New York Daily News that the case was at the moment being treated as a suicide, but that it might take weeks to correctly asses if this was an accident or indeed a suicide.

Police officers say that they found several prescription medications and drugs on the scene. Motes was found in the bathroom of the apartment, laying in a bathtub full of water. Despite the fact that police are treating this as a suicide, there was no note left at the scene, which might indicate an accidental OD.

Homicide is being ruled out of the equation because there were no signs of foul play at the scene. Also, sources inside the investigation say that the house Nancy was found in was rented by a surgeon, a fact which could have given her access to the medication.

It's been revealed that Nancy Motes was a professional dog walker and pet sitter operating in the area. The police investigation will determine with toxicology reports if drugs were indeed involved in her demise.

The last time Motes was in the news was last August, when she gave an interview about her estranged relationship with her famous sister, in which she claimed that she was at the moment being teased by Julia Roberts for her increase in weight.

Motes had been struggling with weight issues and even underwent a gastric bypass operation in June 2010, in an effort to shed some weight. She had gotten engaged to John Dillbeck, a film and TV locations manager, and together were planning a May wedding.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Julia-Ro ... um=twitter

what a terrible death, it reminds me of whitney, who passed away exactly two years ago in a very similar way.
this sad situation also reminds me of whitney in the bodyguard, where she's supposed to attend the oscars just few days after her sister's dead.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby YAWO on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 am

Condolences to Julia and families
YAWO
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 am

Julia Roberts' half-sister found dead in bathtub of apparent drug overdose after weeks of angry Twitter posts

'Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She’s not even that good of an actress.' Nancy Motes, 37 sounded both angry and despondent in her social media posts in the weeks leading up to her death, with some harsh words for the 'Erin Brockovich' actress.

By Cristina Everett

Julia Roberts'’ half-sister was found dead Sunday in a bathtub at a Los Angeles home where she had been pet-sitting, and authorities discovered evidence of drug use.

Nancy Motes, 37, long struggled with being overweight, and had a rocky relationship with her Academy Award-winning sister, who canceled a scheduled appearance Monday on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” due to the tragedy.

Roberts also reportedly skipped an Academy Award luncheon on Monday where she was slated to promote her role in the Oscar-nominated movie “August: Osage County.”

Authorities were called to the Los Angeles home about 2 p.m. Sunday after Motes’ body was found by her fiancé John Dilbeck, a film and TV locations manager whom she was due to marry in May, a law enforcement source told the Daily News. The source added that investigators suspect a drug overdose, but that testing is needed to determine a cause of death.

In the days leading up to Motes’ death, she sounded emotionally unstable and even despondent in posts on her Twitter account.

“(M)y own family has abandoned me,” Motes tweeted Jan. 22 under the handle @Dabbs76.

Motes worked as a dog walker, and had been pet-sitting for the tenant of the home where she was found dead, the law enforcement source said.

Craig Harvey, chief of coroner investigations for Los Angeles County, told The News that Motes “was found in a bathtub that contained water. There were prescription and nonprescription drugs found at the scene. The role the drugs may or may not have played is not yet known.”

An autopsy was scheduled for Monday, but Harvey noted that additional toxicology tests would likely be needed to determine a cause of death.

The law enforcement source told The News that Motes did not leave a suicide note. “There was no evidence of foul play, no note, nothing like that,” the source said. “It’s too soon to say that it was a suicide.”

Motes, a Georgia native, was the daughter of Roberts’ mother, Betty Lou, and stepfather, Michael Motes. “The family is both shocked and devastated,” the Roberts clan said in a statement.

In August, Motes gave an interview that detailed how she was estranged from her famous half-sister. Motes claimed that Roberts, 46, teased her about her weight.

“When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight,” Motes said. “It just makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad.”

She used decidedly harsher language in reference to Roberts in a tweet three weeks ago. “So my ‘sister’ said that with all her friends & fans she doesn’t need anymore love. Just so you all know ‘America’s Sweetheart’ is a BITCH!!’” she tweeted on Jan. 20, referring to Roberts’ star turn in the 2001 rom-com “America’s Sweethearts.”

“Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She’s not even that good of an actress. Happy you totally F---ed with me?” she added in a subsequent missive.

Two days later — and just seven minutes after tweeting about her family having abandoned her — she raged about her heartbreak in a cryptic tweet that was clearly aimed at someone close to her:

“Hey Hag! Glad you f---ed with me yet? You’re going to LOVE what’s coming! FYI-You’re an awful, hate filled old pathetic excuse for a human.”

Last summer, around the time of her revealing interview, Motes made a surprising online attempt to reignite a relationship with her lesser known half-sibling, Eric Roberts, 57. “Hello brother! We must reconnect & get together sometime soon! Glad to hear from you! Hope all is well!” she tweeted at him.

Motes once weighed nearly 300 pounds before undergoing gastric bypass surgery in June 2010. She said she hoped her transformation would help to repair her fractured relationship with Julia Roberts

“It’s not going to be fixed overnight, nor do I think it’s going to be fixed at this point by me just getting skinny,” she said.

In one of Motes’ last social media interactions, she chatted over Twitter with controversial “Teen Mom” Farrah Abraham.

“Hi Farrah! Super excited ur following me! I’ve been following your career since the beginning!” Motes tweeted the day before her body was found.

“Do you know who I’m related to?”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1609292

she really needed help... i feel so bad for julia: not only the loss, but also the public hatred from her sister must be so hurtful.
i suppose with all this mess we can officially say good-bye to all the public commitments julia had for the next few months...
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Re: Julia Roberts's Half-Sister Nancy Motes Dies

Postby swamer on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

We are not sure if this twitter account is Nancy's. After Paul Walker's death, someone created an account as Paul's daughter tweeting sad messages, etc. But if this is true, Nancy must have felt abondoned whereas her siblings are wealthy, envy and jealousy could be destructive. Poor soul, she needed help, she didn't know how to show it, anger is not the solution. And I feel sorry for Julia too, like if she needed more hate from the internet people.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:45 am

damn, i wanted to join in the chorus of feeling bad for the dead girl but with the interview she did last year and now, these tweets, i just don't feel bad for her at all. maybe it's just a fanatic in me but it sounded like she was just mentally ill and a malevolent presence in julia's life. only thing i feel sorry for is her family and also i'm kind of angry at a dead person for choosing to be really spiteful even in death.

i have no doubt this will be forgotten in six months.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby lindsayw on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Its most defiantly her twitter account, but as far as I can tell those tweets have been deleted now, right? Which in my mind makes it even worse, like Nancy knew to delete them before she left. I feel so heart sick for Julia today, such an awful and strange situation. As Berlioz said its even worse that Nancy shared so publicly her hatred for Julia, however its clear that Nancy began saying these things while her drug addiction was taking over. I noticed Eric just started following Nancy on Twitter yesterday even after Nancy reached out twice in the past to him, again it just makes it more clear that people who surround themselves with drugs are not easy to help or get along with, even if it is family.
lindsayw
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 pm

looks like it was suicide...
how long before tmz leaks the letter?
all the articles are making it sound like this was a way to hurt julia and ruin her oscar moment, which i refuse to believe...
:-(

Julia Roberts’ half-sister Nancy Motes left five-page suicide letter detailing her tortured relationship with Oscar-winning actress
Motes' fiancé found her body Sunday in a bathtub filled with water at a Los Angeles home, a source told the Daily News. In the days leading up to her death, she sounded emotionally unstable in posts on her Twitter account.

By Nancy Dillon

Three pages of Nancy Motes’ suicide letter focused on Julia Roberts, sources said.

Julia Roberts’ late half-sister left a suicide note citing her tortured relationship with the Oscar winner, a source close to the investigation told the Daily News Tuesday.

"It was definitely a suicide. She left a five-page suicide letter. The EMT found it," the source told The News.

"There were three pages of rantings that her sister drove her to do this. There was one page to her mom, telling her how much she loved her, and one page apologizing to (her fiancé John Dilbeck)," the source said.

Dilbeck found the body of Nancy Motes, 37, about 2 p.m. Sunday in a bathtub filled with water at a Los Angeles home, the source said.
Nancy Motes had a falling out with Julia Roberts after giving a tell-all interview last summer, sources said.

Motes had been pet-sitting for a client who rented the home. She may have been dead for about 12 hours before her body was found, the source said.

“It looks like a pill overdose," the source said.

She had a falling out with Roberts, 46, after giving a tell-all interview last summer and accusing the “Pretty Woman” actress of blocking her access to their sick mother, the source said.

In the days leading up to Motes' death, she sounded emotionally unstable in posts on her Twitter account.

"So my 'sister' said that with all her friends & fans she doesn't need any more love. Just so you all know 'America's Sweetheart' is a B----!!'" she tweeted on Jan. 20, referring to Roberts' star turn in the 2001 rom-com “America's Sweethearts.”

'Having such a blast at horror nights! Love Halloween!!!!!!' Nancy Motes captioned a Twitter photo with her fiance from October 2013.
@Danns76 via Twitter
'Having such a blast at horror nights! Love Halloween!!!!!!' Nancy Motes captioned a Twitter photo with her fiance from October 2013.

“Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She's not even that good of an actress. Happy you totally F---ed with me?" she added in a subsequent missive.

"(M)y own family has abandoned me," Motes tweeted Jan. 22.

The News confirmed the @Dabbs76 Twitter handle belonged to Motes before her death. The angry tweets were still visible late Monday but had disappeared by early Tuesday.

Motes long struggled with being overweight and living in her movie star sister's shadow.
Nancy Motes was planning to marry finace John Dilbeck this year.
Twitter
Nancy Motes was planning to marry finace John Dilbeck this year.

In August, Motes gave an interview claiming Roberts criticized her appearance as a teen.

"When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight," Motes said at the time.

"It just makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad," added Motes, who once weighed nearly 300 pounds before her decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery in June 2010.
Julia Roberts, pictured last month at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, canceled her public appearances Monday following news of her half-sister’s death.

She said she hoped her transformation would help repair their fractured relationship, but she noted it was still "a work in progress."

"It's not going to be fixed overnight, nor do I think it's going to be fixed at this point by me just getting skinny," she said.

Craig Harvey, chief of coroner investigations for Los Angeles County, told The News that Motes "was found in a bathtub that contained water. There were prescription and nonprescription drugs found at the scene. The role the drugs may or may not have played is not yet known."

An autopsy was completed as of Tuesday morning, but the cause of death was deferred pending additional toxicology tests, coroner spokesman Ed Winter said.

Winter confirmed the suicide note but said he didn't believe it was five pages.

Roberts canceled her public appearances Monday, including a spot on "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

Her rep confirmed a statement on the tragedy obtained by People.com.

"It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose," the statement said. "The family is both shocked and devastated."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z2t2tYBuFp
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Now, it looks like it's Julia who is the one to blame. What a mess.
They were spotted back in 2006: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ation.html
I really respect Julia for letting her personal life private, never commented before and sure she won't comment.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Next

71 posts • Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Return to News