Celebrities' quotes about Julia

Discuss Julia 24/7!

Moderator: berlioz

80 posts • Page 3 of 61, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: Celebrities' quotes about Julia

Postby berlioz on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm

that makes me SO nostalgic...
i kind of wish julia and winona were both in their 20s now, posting on instagram selfies together haha
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 pm

what makes me sad is that Ryder seems very nice and they'd great as friends but I think it stopped then in the nineties.

Did Julia ever had a same age famous female friend back in her twenties and that lasted to this day?
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm

she has paige for that.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:11 am

winona gave julia standing ovation when she won the oscar ... it was so sweet. you can see it if you watch it back.
and when she did the party circuit all she talked about mostly was how happy she was for julia.

i love the one photo they have together (when they were out with keanu reeves)
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 am

yes, those pics from the independent spirit awards (julia was up for mystic pizza) with julia, noni and keanu are everything <3
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby Mark on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:35 pm

it's clear that julia and winona liked each other. i don't think it was a close friendship.

but i feel like the only close female friendship moviestar level julia has had at least documented (because we now know nicole was a friend for decades, but she admitted to not having her email so i doubt it was super close)....

would be susan sarandon.

and i bet there still friends, but probably not nearly as close as they once were because well, life takes you in a different direction.

but i mean sally and shirley would probably be up there too.
Mark
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:04 am

yes, julia and susan were super close in the 90s, always attendings events and fashion shows together, then nothing. julia never mentions her, and susand didn't show up at the cinematheque award in 2007 (but i think she attended the opening of three days of rain the year before).

some of her famous friendships are really long-lasting (dermot mulroney, clooney, sally field, mike nichols...) while others appearently not (what about her and steven soderbergh?).

and it's kind of odd that the closest friendships she has had in hollywood are with people older/much older than her: nichols, oprah, sally field, susan sarandon, even paul newman.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:40 pm

interview with joe ruben (director of sleeping with the enemy) from 1991

At the time Ruben was hired, Kim Basinger was attached to the project. “I had one meeting with Kim,” said Ruben, “and she decided the picture was not for her. Julia was available.” When she signed on, Pretty Woman had not been released, so her participation in the project was not yet considered a major coup.

Of Patrick Bergin, Ruben says, “I thought he was great in Mountains of the Moon. He came in for a chat, and he was the character in the script – strong and assertive, but then he blew it, because when he said goodbye, he turned and walked into the closet.” Ruben hired him anyway.

Pretty Woman was released while Sleeping was filming, and Julia Roberts became a major star. Ruben says, “We looked smart, but it was just luck.”

I ask Ruben if Roberts, after her box office smash, demanded special attention. “None. She had one assistant to keep her life in order, and Kiefer [Sutherland, her current amour] was hanging around.”

“Was he a problem?”

“Not at all. He’s an actor, he understands the process, he didn’t want to get in the way. He stayed in the trailer.”

Now what about Roberts’s acting ability? The word from insiders on the Pretty Woman set was that she required a lot of direction, and that many takes of her scenes were required. I ask Ruben if this was the case when he worked with her. He shakes his head and then turns to mush.

“Julia is amazing,” he says. “She almost cannot make a false move. She can make any choice seem believable, which makes it tricky [for a director], because you don’t have the chance of seeing something that clearly is wrong – and then changing it.

“The great thing about working with Julia is she doesn’t hold back. She’s so expressive. Whatever she’s feeling comes through. I think that’s why she’s a helluva actor. If she walked past that door right now, I would know exactly what she’s feeling. Her body language, the tilt of her head – they send a message. She doesn’t have to push to make you feel exactly what’s going on. It’s just there. It’s a real talent. She knocked me out.”

“What about the love scenes?”

“It’s hard to make love in front of a hundred people, but Julia jumped in and gave it what it needed.”

http://lebeauleblog.com/2016/02/06/dire ... pom-girls/
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:31 pm

These interviews with Ryder and Ruben are great. She is much appreciated for her work and personality.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:19 am

bob harper from the biggest loser recounts his brush with julia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MyOkDXnxn0
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby mcv on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:07 pm

A woman in the San Francisco audience upset that Julia Roberts won the Oscar that year for "Erin Brockovich" asked Burstyn “How did you handle that?”, who responded that people came up to her on the street after the awards and blurted out, “You were robbed!” The actress confided that after seeing Julia Roberts and George Clooney in a advertisement for the upcoming "Follow the Money", "the thought that went through my mind was: you got my second Oscar!”
http://www.examiner.com/review/ellen-bu ... m-festival

no, bitch, that was not your second oscar, you decrepit old loon.
mcv
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Wow after all these years she is still bitter that Jules won over her and she played her daughter in Dying Young. Not classy at all. But LOL.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby berlioz on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:55 pm

lol poor remark, very unclassy... she also played julia's mom in dying young, right?

i love burstyn, alice doesn't live here anymore is sublime and she's great in requiem for a dream, but still... that was julia's year.
berlioz
Ultimate JuliaFanatic
Ultimate JuliaFanatic

Postby swamer on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah unclassy and unnecessary remark really.

I don't know why Burstyn was surpised she lost. Julia had won all the big awards before the Oscar. So none of the other contenders had a chance. Plus, as musch as I loved Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream, Julia was far better in her game and I could not think of any other actress who had a tailor made role for her. Plus Julia could never say something similar. Burstyn disapointed me.
swamer
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

Postby Rico on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:40 am

haha.

she should have gone supporting, not a wise move of her to compete against Julia in her banner year.
I didn't like her performance in Requiem, too much over-acting. Actually, the whole film was far too pretentious.

do you think Julia would be more competitive had she not won the Oscar for Erin?

if you want to sing out, sing out.
Rico
Esteemed JuliaFanatic
Esteemed JuliaFanatic

PreviousNext

80 posts • Page 3 of 61, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Return to Julia Roberts Discussion